Page One: So Long Texas

I think I packed more for my three months in the big city than I did for an entire school year in Texas. In my mind, New York City is the place for shoes. At home I can get away with a pair of boots in a nice camel color that can be worn with both black and brown...but not here. I need every pair of heels I've collected over the years and stocked in my closet. I need every stiletto that's patiently waiting for that perfect occasion.

My new home is a basement in New Jersey. I've never lived in a basement before. I have yellow cabinets and a make-shift kitchen table that doubles as a broken dishwasher. It's a lonely place, but I suppose that lonely is a signiture charictaristic of a new city. It seems that internet and ATM machines aren't a staple in Jersey...I've since discovered ways around these small inconveniences. For example, the hotel concierge won't say a word to you if you sit in the lobby for an hour and use their internet. I'm too cheap to pay the $3.99 at Starbucks.

New York City surprised the Texan. I'm impressed with myself and my new found navigational skills. I find myself repeating the mnemonic device "Never Eat Soggy Watermelons" more than I did back in Texas. I am a subway champion and have no problem helping even the most local-new yorker-looking person find their way.

I finally started working which put some much need purpose to my mindless wondering around Manhattan. I work Mondays and Tuesdays at Haute PR and Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at News TALKRADIO-WABC. And I just wouldn't be a good intern if I didn't tell you to Google them both...

Haute PR is a beauty firm working on a couple of top secret products. I would go into detail but I have been sworn to secrecy and fear the consequences.

The first day at ABC started out with a live viewing of the IMUS show. Very cool. The rest of the day was spent mutilating my feet moving boxes out of the IMUS in the Morning car, back down to the office at 2 Penn Plaza, up the freight elevator and into the storage room...for hours. Since then, I have been promoted to professional-salesman-organizer and ancient-paperwork-filer-er.

If it's not sniffing fragrances or looking at label designs, it's getting the low-down on the broadcast industry...and if it's none of that, than what else would a summer intern in New York City concern herself with than new friends, good wine and Italians?

No comments:

Post a Comment