Page Sixteen: Mommy Dearest and Mary Poppins

My night at the New York Athletic Club was simply smashing darling. I heard all about the club and the exclusiveness and ritzyness of it. I answered the normal questions that adults never seem to stray far from. Kevin ate very slow. By the time he was on his second cup of coffee it was close to midnight and I was practically falling asleep at the table.

It was delish though. I value food in mass quantities like that much more than I did before I moved here. I got the vibe that my landlords, who have been a devoted couple for over 30 years, really don't like each other at all. At two different times, when they each had me alone, they apologized for the other one. Regardless of their feelings toward the other, I liked the food and I took full advantage of being a one-night-only member of the NYAC.

I finally got the mommy hug I had been needing on Saturday. She flew in from our house in Maine, where she spends the summer reading books on rocks by the ocean and going to cocktail parties. Real tough. I met her at Penn Station and we explored the Village together, did some junk shopping and ate too much. I love that lady more than life and it was wonderful to see her.

The sun is finally shining in the city. I got the white converse high-tops I'd been needing and I figured out the trick to not getting stalked...WEAR YOUR HAIR UP! It's a miracle worker and my best piece of advise that I have acquired yet.

My mom and I saw Mary Poppins on Broadway yesterday. It was, hands down, my favorite show. I want to be Mary. I want to dress like her, I want to sing like her, I want to be allusive and mysterious like her, and most of all I want her umbrella. She is my current icon.

The mother and I went to Cafe del Mare on her first day here. Good food but terrible view...let me explain...We sit down at our table outside in a wonderful, sunny, good for people watching spot. We're both loving life until I spy a butt. A totally out butt...one that you don't want to see, ever. You don't want to see this butt even if you've been stranded on an island with only old ladies for ten years.

He was leaning over a payphone with his hiney so in my face I couldn't help but look. I had no choice. I took 3 pictures and then the funniness faded. Finally a cop came and told him to leave, just in time for our food to arrive, thank God.

It was just nasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment