Page Forteen: I'm Only a Pretend Grown Up



It's a day of firsts for the Texan. Today was my first day to take the F train to 63rd and Lex for work. Today's the first day to wear this leopard pencil skirt (it isn't tacky, I promise). And, most excitingly, today is my first day to go to a client meeting in the Park Ave. office. Well, actually this is my first client meeting anywhere. What a grown up lady I am.

The potential client we're meeting with today, if I was listening, is a man who is trying to create the next Ebay. Not our typical demographic so our goal is to convince him we're not all just beauty and frou-frou stuff.

The PR interns are taking pictures today. These will go on various media packets for potential clients, I guess. All I know is, I'm wearing brown and hot orange and the other girls are wearing black and gray. I clash.

I saw Kevin, my landlord, last night for the first time since I moved in almost a month ago. They invited me to a big seafood buffet at the New York Health and Racquet Club on Friday. It's a fancy-schmancy, stuffy, suit and tie kind of place but I never really sensed much of an option with the invitation. So I'm going. I'm pretty broke this week so I figure by Friday, I just might be hungry enough to be really excited about this little adventure. What in the world will we talk about?

Probably the normal questions that college kids get asked by adults so many times the answers come out automatically.

The Grown Up- "Now, where do you go to school?"
Me- Texas State, it's outside of Austin in San Marcos. It has a river running through it. I love it.

The Grown Up- "Wonderful! What are you studying?"
Me- Electronic Media for TV broadcasting and Spanish

The Grown Up- "That's just great, college is a very important time. What are you planning on doing with that?"
Me- Yes, college is an insane, wild, wonderfully sinful and selfish life that lasts for four years and then leaves us forever and we spend the rest of our lives wondering where it went and thinking about how great it felt to be on the other side of this conversation... and I plan on becoming the next Kelly Ripa.
I have terribly average grades, I go out way more than I should, and I tend to skip class on good river days. My room is always messy and I will most likely throw a sink full of dishes away before I get around to washing them. I text during class and I've bribed a teacher an entire letter grade with candy. Anything else?

1 comment:

  1. i love it when people ask what you plan to do with your degree... yours might be the most honest answer to that question i've ever seen!

    loving your blog. i'll most definitely be back to visit!

    ReplyDelete