Page Eleven: That Girl

I'm sneaking this in fast before I get started with the daily tasks that will most likely consist of spread sheets and binder dividers. There are a lot of binder dividers at the ABC office.

I started out here laying low I think. Living in a basement doesn't mean fast friends and weekends like those back in school. Basement life makes you have to work a little harder for social life. But I think I may have found it.

Unfortunately, I think I've kept up with the Texas name even in a city where I'm pretty positive you're supposed to be classy and fabulous. I might officially be the girl who takes her shoes off and puts her hair in a pony-tail and sits criss-cross-apple-sauce style at the bar. I hope that's OK.

I love the people here...minus the subway creepers of course who will be mentioned further in another edition of The A Train Observer... The best part is meeting people from all over the place. I have an obsession with all things foreign and I get a taste of it every single day here. You have to wonder whether the person you ask for directions will speak your language and I love that.

Last night I snuck away from my friends for a couple minutes and went to check out another bar that was less crowded. A better pizza eating atmosphere, which was what I was on a quest for. I went to the right place because within ten minutes of being there I was listening to Rock Me Mama Like a Wagon Wheel feeling like I was back home.

When I arrived at the office today in another day or so old, make-shift outfit, I was certain that I would be faking my smiles until 5pm. Then I read a message my friend Anna left me comparing me to a drowning 6-year-old in a yellow swim suit and pigtails. It made my day and now there are no chances of pretend smiles.


Today's confession: I'm a bonafide tough girl now, something I have never been, and I put my newly developed powers to work last night. I told the Italian Stallion that he needs to learn that one of these days, someone will tell him no. He said in his decreasingly desirable accent that no one has ever told him no before, and no one will ever tell him no later. So I said no and hung up the phone.

I know this didn't phase him in the slightest, but I'm a strong believer that everyone needs to find the person that lets them know they're not as cool as they think they are. I had mine last September and I'm forever indebted to this person.

Happy Friday y'all.

4 comments:

  1. I just recently stumbled across your blog and I must say...I LOVE IT! Your writing is so fun and witty.

    Keep up the good work (so I can keep living vicariously through you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm relatively new to the whole blog thing too, and someone just gave me my first "blog award". So, I am now passing the same award onto you! Check out my post for more details. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to have been there for you babe.

    you're turning more into my tough girl attitude everyday haha. as for me, i'd like to let you know that my backbone is stronger than ever. watch out single boys. you're staying single.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and I must say- I love it! Can't wait to hear more of your adventures... and someday I'll be moving to NYC and hopefully be having some of my own! C'est la vie!!!

    ReplyDelete