Page Nineteen: The Simple Life


I left the bright lights of the city and made my way to a town that really is unlike any other, in my opinion anyways. Boothbay Harbor Maine is where I've spent my summers since 7th grade. I drank for the first time there, learned to drive there, fell in love with a silly boy there, had my first job there...a lot of really good, important firsts. The best way to describe the quaint fairy-tale town is to compare it to a pop-up book. In my mind, no one really exists there, it's a setting from a story that comes to life from the months of June to August. It's that kind of place.

I surprised my Dad and his face was priceless. I spent good quality time with my parents complete with fireworks and cookouts. And the destruction of a poor bikers brand new Harley, but I'm going to leave that one a mystery.

The only downside to the weekend was that I had to look out of our dining room window into the backyard to see an empty yard where my beloved trampoline once stood. My mom decided to give it away and I'm still deciding if I will ever be able to forgive her. I probably wont. It was my pride and joy and I spent more time bouncing on it than I ever did inside the house. I've fallen off it more times than I can count and I became a master of creating the perfect rainbow with the hose underneath.

I realized that people have the potential to be happy anywhere they are. I realized this weekend that I miss so many different places and so many different people all at once. When I was in Texas I cried before I left, then I craved my old wooden house in Maine. Then, this weekend, I was itching to get back to New York, a place I've called my home for just over a month. I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes, the excitement of life literally overwhealms me.

I wish I could be everywhere at once and see everything at once and meet every person at once. Maybe I got sappy this weekend. Or maybe I learned something.

I finished reading The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan, which could have something to do with my sudden, intense appreciation for life and everything that defines it. Read it. It taught me things, made me laugh and even earned a couple spots in my quote journal...not an easy task.

Finally, July is here and that means visitors from the homeland. I cannot put into words how excited I am to see both (maybe even three) of my anticipated guests. I'm ready to show them what the life according to the Texan looks like now. I want to show them how well I know how to navigate my way around the concrete jungle and I want them to see how tough I can be. I want to take them to my favorite bar and I want to lay out on the Statue of Liberty lawn. I want to be a tourist and get sketched for 5 dollars in Times Square. That's a must.

It's time to get back to work.

Our current task: verbally bashing boys without brains who are intimidated by cute girls who know how to talk and think for themselves.

Current conflict: tell a boy whats up, or ignore them completely? I vote ignore them, it's more painful, cuts to the core of their ego and drives them up the wall. It's a winning solution 87% of the time.

2 comments:

  1. I agree...ignore them completely! They can't stand it. That amount of silence will say more than words ever could. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved out "task" at work yesterday! So fun!

    ReplyDelete